WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 - 64 oz. NESTLÉ JUICY JUICE Plastic Bottle
- Utility knife
- Small rocks
- Earthworms (available in your garden or at fishing stores)
HOW TO DO IT
- Wash and dry a NESTLÉ JUICY JUICE plastic bottle.
- (PARENTS ONLY) Cut the NESTLÉ JUICY JUICE bottle in half. Use the bottom half for your Earthworm Habitat.
- Layer the bottom of the bottle with small rocks.
- Add layers of sand and soil alternately until the bottle is nearly full.
- Moisten the sand and soil with water.
- Lay the earthworms over the soil and cover them with fresh leaves.
- Put the Earthworm Habitat in a dark place and keep the soil moist.
- You can plant a small plant or a few grass seeds in your Earthworm Habitat. The worms will eventually pull the grass and leaves under the soil and eat them, which you'll be able to observe through your bottle.
- Once you have observed the worms at work, place them back into the garden so that they can continue to cultivate the outdoor soil.
FOLLOW UP FUN
Back to top
- Worms have no arms, legs or eyes.
- In one acre of land, there can be more than a million earthworms.
- Baby worms hatch from cocoons smaller than a grain of rice.
- Worms can eat their weight each day.
Here are more fun projects that can be created with a plastic bottle: