WHAT YOU NEED
For each mallet:
- 1 empty LIBBY'S ALL NECTAR can
- 1 dowel rod (1/2 inch diameter)
- Spray paint - 1 can of primer, 1 can of off-white paint, 1 can of colored paint (1 color for each set of mallets and balls)
- Roll of colored electrical tape (1 color for each set of mallets and balls)
- Utility knife
- Craft glue gun
HOW TO DO ITFor each mallet and ball set:
- Wash and dry an empty KERNS can.
- In a well ventilated area, spray the entire can with primer and let dry - about 30 minutes.
- Spray the entire can with off-white spray paint. It may take two coats. (Be sure not to spray the layers too thick, it may cause the paint to drip or crack.) Let it dry - about 30 minutes
- Cut two pieces of green (or any color you choose) electrical tape to measure 9 inches in length. Wrap them horizontally around the can, about an inch from each end (see illustration).
- (PARENTS ONLY) With a utility knife, start a hole between the two green stripes of tape. With a pencil, push through the can, creating a hole large enough for the dowel rod to fit through, about 1/2 inch (see illustration). Apply a strip of electric tape around the hole in case there are any rough edges.
- Put a small amount of hot glue on the tip of the dowel rod. Slide it through the hole in the can until it hits the inside of the can. Secure with more hot glue around the insertion point if necessary.
- Cut two strips of green electrical tape to measure 1 inch in length. Wrap them around the top end of the dowel rod about 3 inches from the top and 2 inches apart (see diagram).
- In a well ventilated area, spray paint a 3 inch Styrofoam ball with green spray paint. Let dry - about 30 minutes.
- This completes one mallet and ball set. Do the same for the other mallet and ball colors you have chosen.
Around the World Croquet ArchesWHAT YOU NEED
- NESQUIK 30 oz. powder canisters (1 empty canister for each arch)
- Famous landmark templates
- 2 - 3 large sheets of white craft foam.
- Safety scissors
- Utility knife
- Glue stick
- Craft glue gun
- Colored markers or crayons
HOW TO DO IT
- Wash and dry a NESQUIK 30 oz. canister (1 canister for each arch).
- Print out the arch and landmark templates. Template 1. Template 2. Template 3. Template 4.
- (PARENTS ONLY) Cut arches in each side of the canisters using the template as a pattern.
- Color each of the landmarks with markers or crayons.
- With a glue stick, glue each to the craft foam and cut out.
- Cut out the base from craft foam and insert your landmark into it (see illustration). Secure with a craft glue gun.
- Glue the base and landmark to the top of the NESQUIK canister.
- Do the same for all 4 landmarks.
- You can add to the game by drawing our cutting out additional landmarks from magazines and attaching them to canister arches.
- If you have a traditional croquet set you can combine these Around the World arches with the wire wickets that come with the set.
HOW TO PLAY
- Choose a flat area in your home or outside to set up your Around the World Croquet.
- Place each arch at least 2 - 3 feet apart. Begin by setting them up in a straight line. As your players get more adept at hitting the balls through the arches, you can move them to make the game a little more challenging.
- Give each player a mallet with a matching ball. The object is to hit the ball through each of the arches. If the player misses an arch, it is the next player’s turn.
- In keeping with the Around the World theme, ask each player to identify the landmark on the arch before they hit the ball through.
- The first player to hit through all of the arches is the winner.
Back to top
- This is great indoor rainy day activity since the arches can be set on the floor or on low pile carpet and the Styrofoam balls (you can use rubber balls too) won’t hurt your walls or floors.
FOLLOW UP FUN
Once the kids get the hang of this simple game of Around the World Croquet, encourage an afternoon of Backyard Mini Golf and Sidewalk Chalk Hopscotch. These games are a great way for kids of all ages to get the exercise they need while playing fun games with friends and family!